Medical RecordsNortheastern Nevada Regional Hospital recognizes the contributions of the health information management and technology fields.
Under the privacy regulations of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act [HIPAA], patients have the right to view, amend and obtain copies of their health information. This has increased their knowledge of the importance of properly managed health information.
"A medical record serves as the basis for planning patient care. To receive quality healthcare, accurate and timely health information is crucial - this is the primary goal of the medical record professional." Medical records week is an opportunity to learn more about the role these professionals play in the healthcare system, as well as recognize and celebrate their contributions to patient care, public health and the bottom line."
Medical Record Professionals contribute to "Managing the Records of Life" by:
- Ensuring HIPAA awareness so that healthcare organizations are cognizant of and complying with the new regulations
- Protecting patient privacy and providing information security
- Ensuring health information is complete and available to legitimate users
- Coding ans classifying data for reimbursement.
- Analyzing information necessary for decision support
- Administering health information computer systems
- Preparing health data for accreditation surveys
- Analyzing clinical data for research and public policy
- Preventing fraud and abuse